Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Paper rope [WOYWW143]

I'm using paper from an old wrecked bible to make an art piece that gives a quote from the bible. So I am not using bible paper indiscriminately. I do not mean to offend with my art.

I wanted to show how I made the paper rope in my art piece. All you need is strong paper and sharp scissors. Just fold the paper in half and cut into strips using sharp scissors and keeping the top and bottom of the shape intact. It's just like the paper lanterns we made in school years ago. I think they still make them.


Lay the shape on top of something that 'grabs' and you will have to experiment with what works for you. I used a chunk of rubber that is meant to hold the top of jars tight while you open them. Kitchen/household rubber gloves would probably also work. The back of a rug that has that non-stick coating would probably work as well. Start rolling back and forth gently. Once you have a good 'roll' going on, pick it up in both of your hands and continue rolling with your fingers individually.

When it comes time to cut the ends you must pay attention because it is really easy to cut the wrong bit and you've then shortened your rope without meaning to. Cut the top through to the end on one side (let's call it the 'top') and then move over one space and cut the bottom through to the end, and so on. You'll notice that each side has cuts that skip a space. So it looks like: cut, skip a space, cut, skip a space. But you'll just have to try it yourself to see what I am talking about. I'm sure there are more clearly written instructions for the making of paper rope somewhere on the web. I just wanted you to see what I am working on these days.

Here is a little book made with cigarette paper pages. There are two pages to this book which contain a quote from the bible on one of them and a bird illustration on the other. I've used bible paper to line the front and back inside cover. The cover itself is made of handmade Japanese paper and when closed the books is wrapped and fastened with paper rope adorned with cowrie shells from Hawaii.


When opened:


The little book complete. My weathered hand is 61 years of age.


So that's what I've been working on these past few days. To see more wonderful workdesks, pop by here, Julia Dunnit's blog featuring the desktops of artists all over the world every Wednesday. Join in and show us what you are working on. What does your desk look like. What do others' desks look like?

Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope. *smiles* Norma

13 comments:

  1. Your weathered hand looks very much like mine! Lovely thoughtful post. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work just saw your tag!! on tag tuesday, thanks for the tutorial on how you achieved this delicate work, Fabulous Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rope is wonderful. Lovely projects you have going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lot of work involved. I remember making those lanterns at school! (Hazel, WOYWW #5) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great makes, love how you've used different things. Happy Thursday to you, hope you enjoy this week's snoop around the oh so creative spaces & take care. Zo xx 83

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try the rolled paper technique, love the combination of papers used, waving from the hills of North Carolina a day late :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you have made is just beautiful and inspiring...I love the paper rope:))))
    (decided to follow you)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have a go at making rope paper it ls very effective. You are such a busy person. Well done.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the instructions on making the paper rope! I will have to give it a try. Your book looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim: I bet tea bag paper would make fabulous rope! Really fabby. *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  11. What amazing creations & delights you make! Wonderfully unique & inspirational! Love the paper twine you have made really lovely! Have a wonderful week!
    Lavinia
    x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope, *smiles* Norma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...