Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First successful gel transfer

Gel transfers are not rocket science, but the many (too many to recall) times I have attempted this procedure I have failed miserably. Well I felt miserable after all of the failures anyway. Until yesterday when I was in the middle of making a used tea bag paper little book tag for TAG TUESDAY, when I enjoyed my first success.


Here is a shot of the middle spread showing the bird image transfer, along with a wee poem written with a mapping pen and india ink. Closed, the book measures about 1.5" wide by 2" tall so that gives you an idea of how small the book is. As I'm right in the throes of delight in making these books, the gel transfers are going to add to them immeasurably. I'm tickled pink.

Thanks for dropping by, and we'll see you soon, I hope. *smiles* Norma

7 comments:

  1. These are terrific pages and love the verse.
    Why do you think the image transfer worked this time and not others. I ask because I have failed miserably trying to do this. Annette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netty: I used GOLDEN brand fluid gel glossy (although I like matte so am going to try that) and worked with a small image and the tea bag paper is very porous so maybe the gel really got into the fibre of the paper. The photocopy was a laser print and not ink jet. I put quite a heavy dose of fluid gel onto the image itself and not the tea bag paper so when I placed the image onto the tea bag paper I really pressed hard but had a paper towel over top to catch the stuff squidging out from the edges. Then I baked it on top of the stove on an elevated metal stand so that it was as dry as a bone. Then when I adhered water I put it on fairly generously and just kept adding water. Then I patiently rubbed and rubbed and rubbed gently. Gently is the key. A great trick is to use gently, a dry old cotton dishcloth to rub gently. This really drags the paper fibres away. I don't know why it worked but this is exactly what I did! *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  3. came out beautifully!!
    i'm so very impressed!!
    i have trouble with gel transfers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried it, the bird looks fab and your handwriting. Mine I don't like much,it comes from years of being a teacher I think.I don't really know what tea bag paper is.Is it from a real tea bag,it would be so small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, it looks so crisp and clear. I must say I am intrigued by the idea of gel transfers...I must try this.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bird .... I also love tiny, ity-bitty art pieces. I bet it turns out fabulous.

    Happiness to all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What loveliness! Tea bags and transfers - 2 of my favourite...glad it is working for you, and thanks for the healing thoughts!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope, *smiles* Norma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...