Sunday, July 6, 2014

Third Eye Medicine Pouch Necklace

dc#141: Inner Eye

I've managed to fashion together a necklace from which hangs a medicine pouch with a third eye or inner eye motif embroidered on the muted olive coloured linen fabric chosen for this design idea. That was a sentence.


For some time I've been dreaming of making pouches to be used in a jewelry genre. Oh I dream up lots of ideas and get inspired by things I see on line, but it was not until the talented and lovely Susan gave us in the drawing challenge this week, the theme "Inner Eye" that I sprung into action. It's one thing to think of an idea and another thing completely to actually DO the idea. I did have an end game in mind for this piece, but the doing of it led me down a number of paths and on quite the learning curve. Let me say that I pieced this together to show you, and give you an idea of my idea. I will be making another one, using the lessons I learned in making this first one. I'll describe this one though: a linen wrapped cotton rope that has been overwrapped with a gold cord; and fastening with a closed loop on one end, and a button (not attached here.) From this rope hangs freely, a pouch of pale olive linen with a floral french cotton print backing. This has been padded using quilting batting and a third eye or inner eye has been embroidered on the front. Japanese glass seed beads have been added for a decorative element, and to tame the puffy quilting batting. Like I said, this was a learning curve. The bag is pinned to the hanging cord to show you the idea. Closure choices include snaps, and buttonholes with buttons, etc. The pouch opens to the inside at the back and a piece of tumbled tiger eye stone has been placed in the bag to be worn when one needs their third eye to be energized by the tiger eye stone. It is said that if you place a tiger eye on your third eye chakra (which is indigo in colour, and between your eyes on your forehead) you will energize and empower this energy centre in your body. I like the idea anyway.
 

A few weeks ago I got a whole bag of tumbled tiger eye stones (there are 145 of them) that now sit in a brass singing bowl from India, on my meditation trunk and when I walk by them in the hallway, I sometimes just pick up one of them and place it on my third eye chakra, saying whatever comes to mind, and then tossing it back in the bowl of stones. I also got a bag of tumbled quartz crystals. Both of these bags of tumbled stones were say, $6.00 for all of them. One never knows what one is going to come across at Value Village (our local second hand store.) To see more "Inner Eye"s pop over to see Susan's blog where you will be linked to all of the players for this week. Thanks for dropping in! May you have singular wisdom and second sight from your third eye chakra. Namaste all!! Norma, xo

12 comments:

  1. Hello Norma! It's feels like ages between visits.
    Your vision and completion of the idea inspire and push me. So many ideas fall away without coming to fruit. Thank you for showing us the process.
    The next DC is being hosted by me. I hope you can join. xo Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste to the max Norma! That's a really lovely pouch and wonderful idea for some added strength. My daughter Chloe is big on crystal healing and will probably know about tiger's eye. (although I don't think it's one of the crystals around the house) Well done and I hope you do make more. Hope your week ahead is a lovely one. Big hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, there is alot here. for one i just love the story once more you add to your endeavour. and endeavour it was, by the sounds of it. i love you for tossing a stone back in with its fellows, after wishing upon it, it is a highly visual image for me. i already love your value village, but that would not surprise you, i think. and that eye! i mean, the last image has a totally egyptian hiëroglyph feel to it, you do realize that, don't you?
    yep, around the world with norma! thxs!!
    n♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed by your accomplishment ....What a beautiful little bag!!! What a lovely concept!!! What a mesmerizing inner eye!!!!
    Namaste to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this tiny pouch is a great new direction, Norma, and thanks for the information regarding Tiger Eye stones. Thank you for joining the DC and happy week to you!
    -sus

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Norma- how awesome is that!! Your stitching is fantastic :) and I love the stones added- mesmerizing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ;^))
    i love it that you pick one stone, place it on your eye chakra
    say what ever comes to mind and than toss it back
    wonderful
    as is this pouche!
    love the color of the fabric, that beautiful eyes
    the glassbeads and that it's a little bit puffy
    such a fine, fine job!!!!

    xx
    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh another gem of a creation! I love the beauty of the embroidered eye! So very nice to have a bit of time for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello norma, i hope that you are doing fine. can i tempt you at all? in case of, here's : the DC {drawing challenges} is back. come and check out our new theme. you are very welcome. n♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi!
    it's been a while
    but i think you will like the theme
    i am the DC host this week
    are you in?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Norma, this is gorgeous
    I think it is wonderful to look at and a sweet medicine piece.
    I don't know how i missed seeing this, except that i did not do this theme.... maybe i was out of town. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i miss you and your lovely arts!
    so nice to get your messages, thank you so much. I hope winter is being good to you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope, *smiles* Norma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...