Sunday, April 29, 2012

Horse Feathers

DRAWING CHALLENGE: hosted this week by: Patrice. Each week a new theme is posted, hosted by someone new, and everyone is welcome to join in! This is my first entry with the theme: E-A-R-T-H-L-Y.
Yesterday I discovered a random tree growing in the boulevard in a forgotten and neglected section of the roadway near where I live. It would have been mowed right down with those huge lawnmower machines the City landscaping crew use so I tugged at it and it released easily into my hand. Attached to the lowest part of the stem (will become a trunk) was the split chestnut that had developed into the tree. I took it home and plunked it in a small jar of water for now. Then today I decided to draw a quick sketch of the tree on used tea bag paper so I propped the tree against the nearest object in front of the window where there is good light. I did a quick sketch and then added some colour with pencil crayons and watercolor. Here is the drawing.
When I went on line to find out the name of the tree, I discovered that it was called a 'Horse Chestnut' tree and that was kind of neat because I'd propped it up against the horse figure not knowing the name of the tree. Then when I drew a leaf up close, the sections reminded me of the way feathers fall so the idea of horse feathers came to me. The leaf looks like a group of feathers that may be used as a decorative element for a horse.
So I am calling this post horse feathers even though the meaning is not so nice. See you soon I hope, *smiles* Norma

4 comments:

  1. Hi Norma,
    this is such a nice painting!
    by the wayl, I think next time in my studio I´m going to see waht my non dominant hand wants to show...
    x Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Norma,
    oh, a wonderful soft scetching!
    I like the gold and green of the leaves very much.

    Best,
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Norma,

    I made a link to your blog
    and
    what a fine drawing
    the green, the gold
    just beautiful

    thank you!
    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a super beautiful post..gorgeous art..stunning!! and wonderful photos..Love your magical realm here!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for dropping by and we'll see you soon, I hope, *smiles* Norma

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...